Friday 23 September 2011

Damnit, like physics wasn't weird enough!

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn20957-dimensionhop-may-allow-neutrinos-to-cheat-light-speed.html

Great. I've never been good at physics, but there was one bit of it I thought I got - nothing can move faster than the speed of light. Except now - thank-you-very-much-CERN-superboffins - apparently neutrinos can. Since neutrinos are demonstrably not nothing, this is a problem.

This is probably the bit where I'm supposed to comment on whether I think this will turn out to be a paradigm-shifting discovery or a big fuss about nothing. I would, but I haven't a clue. I'll only comment that it'll be slightly hilarious/worrying if the LHC built on the principles of special relativity turns out to  prove it wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment